Lalan College was established on 20 June 1953. It celebrated sixty years in 2013. The college was the first establishment offering higher education to Kachchh, a district thought to be remote and cut-off for many years. The establishment was a historical event for the district and even for the state. The college did not have its own building initially and hence Maharao of Kutch Madansinhji had generously offered his palace ‘Darbargadh’ to the college. It was in 1959 that the college shifted to its present location.
On the 15 January 1954, Dr. Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan as the Vice-President of India laid the foundation stone of the new building. Dr. Radhakrishnan was a renowned educationist and a philosopher, who later became the President of India. On 8 November 1959 Indira Gandhi inaugurated the new building. Thus the college had two of the eminent personalities performing the foundation ceremony for it. At a time when the order of the princely states was disappearing fast and the new order of the independent India was yet to be born, it was this college that introduced to its students the currents of the world and familiarized them with modernity not visible to them around. It is impossible to talk of Kutch without taking a note of the contribution this college has made.
- Haresh N. Mehta
(The college building was severely damaged in the earthquake of 26 January 2001. The present building was constructed in 2005 with the UGC grants and the state government support.)